Much of the Network's time and efforts goes into following and tracking the California State Budget and federal funds distributed through the state for early learning and support.
The Network operates collaboratively with many partner organizations as it works to inform policy makers about the impact of budget decisions on working families.
State Budget 2016-2017:
On Monday, June 25th, Governor Jerry Brown signed the 2016-2017 budget bill, concluding a budget season that brought together child care and early learning advocates in a way that is sure to build a strong movement for many budget seasons to come! The final bill package includes a $145 million investment this year, building up to over $500 million over the next 4 years. The budget does not provide any additional childcare slots, however it does increase reimbursement rates to keep up with the rising minimum wage. The 2016-2017 spending plan:
- Increases Regional Market Rates to the 75th percentile of the 2014 survey as of January 1, 2017-with a two year hold-harmless
- Increases Licensed Exempt Rates from 65 percent to 70 percent of the Family Child Care Home Rate as of January 1, 2017.
- Increases Standard Reimbursement Rates by 10 percent across-the-board effective January 1, 2017.
- Adopts a placeholder trailer bill to implement the above provisions and express legislative intent on setting the 85th percentile of the Regional Market Rate as the long term goal for reimbursement rate.
- Provides $100 million in Proposition 98 funding for 8,877 additional full-day State Preschool Slots to be phased in over 4 years. Specifically, $7.8 million in 2016-17, $39.6 million in 2017-2018, $73 million in 2018-19, and $100 million in 2019-20.
- Repeals the CalWORKS Maximum Family Grant rule, which prohibited a grant increase when a child was born to a parent already receiving CalWORKS.
Proposed January Budget
Reimbursement Rate Analysis:
State Budget 2015-2016:
State Budget 2014-2015:
How to Take Action
Contact your local legislators:
Stay tuned for action alerts!